You might be peacefully going about your week, checking off your to-dos, being productive, building relationships, and living your best life.
Then out of nowhere—BAM! A bad day hits you square in the face.
Maybe your laptop died right as you were about to send an important report. Maybe the power went out and you’re stuck cleaning up melted ice cream in the freezer. Maybe your kid threw up all over the dog.
Ugh. A bad day can make you want to crawl back into bed and stay huddled under the covers forever. Or perhaps get in the car and drive until you hit the coast. Personally, a bad day makes me want to drown my sorrows in an enormous bowl of pasta.
Bad days are unavoidable, but there’s hope! Instead of letting it wreck your mood and derail your progress, create a backup plan called a Bad Day Emergency Kit.
I first wrote about this DIY kit years ago, and it’s been a go-to tactic for my clients to help them take control of their mindsets. The Bad Day Emergency Kit can be a box of goodies or simply a list of things that never fail to turn your day around.
My Bad Day Emergency Kit has my favorite rom-com movies, my gratitude journal, soothing guided meditations, and anything chocolate.
Your homework for this week is to put together your own kit so you’re never at a loss for what to do the next time a Bad Day sneaks up on you.
Here are my top picks to add to your Bad Day Emergency Kit.
1. Let That Sh*t Go. More badass than a traditional journal, this little book helps you “leave your bullsh*t behind and create a happy life.”
2. Pink Stork Calm Tea. Sip a cup of this anti-anxiety tea and imagine all your troubles floating away.
3. Watermelon Cherry Quartz Necklace. Perfect for cleansing and healing, this trinket will ward off negativity from the world . . . or annoying coworkers.
4. Weighted Blanket. This has been a lifesaver for me! Its comforting weight helps me get more restorative sleep.
5. Pride and Prejudice. When life becomes too much to handle, escape to Pemberley with Mr. Darcy.
6. Scented Soy Candles. Light your favorite scent, concentrate on the flame, and recite positive affirmations such as “everything goes right for me.”
7. 12 Week Planner. Shameless self-promotion! You’ll love the “Bad Day Emergency Kit” worksheet in my popular digital planner. Part of the Life Editor Clubhouse.
Like these picks? Check out my favorite things on Pinterest.
This post focuses on Step 5 of the Life Editing Process, Make White Space for Personal Self-Care. For more about life editing and what it can do for you, click here.
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Book Outlet, save $10 off your first order
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder