Life Editor’s Picks: Mindfulness
Now that there’s a crisp chill in the air, I’ve been incorporating more hot teas and warm seasonal drinks into my mindfulness practice.
I’ll pour a cup of coffee, sit down at my desk, and look out the window at the changing leaves for at least 10 minutes before I start my work.
It might seem strange, but when I slow down and enjoy the current moment and feel gratitude for how good my life is, then I feel more focused and motivated for the rest of the day.
Try it yourself! Instead of diving headfirst into your work while you’re still groggy, take a few minutes to be mindful of where you’re at, what’s going on around you, and how you feel.
Life races by too fast, and it’s the little moments of pleasure that need to be savored and appreciated.
Here are my top picks for your mindfulness practice.
1. Zafu Yoga Meditation Pillow. I fell in love with zafu pillows about 10 years ago on a meditation retreat. Trust me, you’ll never skip your meditation session when you have one of these comfy cushions. Comes in 7 colors!
2. Practicing Mindfulness. It’s one thing to want to be more mindful, but it’s an entirely different thing to actually make space in your busy schedule. Here’s how to make it work for you.
3. Inspiring Words Stones. Put one of these lovely glass stones on your desk and concentrate on its message for a few minutes whenever you get stressed out at work.
4. How to Meditate. A nice beginner’s guide with a Buddhist (yet practical) angle.
5. Just Breathe Mug. “Sage, why are you always talking about mugs?” Because I have an obsession, OK??? Seriously, us Type A Life Editors always need a reminder to breathe and take it easy.
6. Present Over Perfect. This is super important! Let’s leave our perfectionism behind and give ourselves permission to be flawed in 2020.
7. Mala Prayer Beads. Without even realizing it, I’ve started a little collection of mala bead necklaces that I use to focus myself in the mornings. Recite affirmations, mantras, or positive phrases as you make your way around the necklace touching each bead until you get back to where you started.
8. Mindfulness Cards. This adorable deck of bite-sized mindfulness exercises makes a pretty stocking stuffer.
9. The Peoples Green Tea. Every day I sit with a hot cup of green tea and slowly savor each sip. No distractions, just peace and calmness.
Like these picks? Check out my favorite things on Pinterest.
This post focuses on Step 1 of the Life Editing Process, Make White Space for Personal Self-Care. For more about life editing and what it can do for you, click here.
3 Simple Steps to Become a Productivity Superstar
Dump your excuses, transform your habits, and become the most productive person you know.