The world is a busy place, and I often feel like it’s impossible to slow down.
My phone makes me reachable no matter where I am. My television provides endless hours of trashy reality shows and commercials for things I don’t really need. And don’t get me started on how the Internet eats up my free time.
That’s why I make the conscious choice every day to be still, to practice mindfulness, even for just a few minutes.
Mindfulness means focusing your attention on where you are right here, right now.
It’s not about crawling under a rock to escape the world and all its distractions. You can learn how to be present right where you are despite the distractions all around you.
Being still is important to me as a Buddhist, but mindfulness is for everyone regardless of religion or spiritual practice.
Isn’t it time for you to hit the “pause” button on your busy life?
My Favorite Ways to Practice Mindfulness
- I love the a 2-minute guided meditations on Calm.com. The visuals are beautiful, and I like being able to center my mind and body at the start of my day.
- The Miracle Morning has a fantastic morning routine that starts with 10 minutes of silence before you do any work at all. It’s been transformational!
- I sit and drink my tea slowly while I chat with my husband before he leaves for work every weekday. All our electronic gadgets are turned off, and we can just enjoy each other’s company.
- On my walks with my dog Skyla, I shut off my phone and use it as an opportunity to be present and appreciate nature. It’s my time to listen to the birds, watch the rustling leaves in the trees, and feel the breeze on my skin.
- I take 5 minutes every day to study my vision board. This is an easy method for me to reconnect with my goals in a peaceful, empowering way.
The world may still be rushing forward at a hundred miles per hour, but you can always find stillness if you look for it.
This post focuses on Step 5 of the Life Editing Process, Make White Space for Personal Self-Care. For more about life editing and what it can do for you, click here.
3 Simple Steps to Become a Productivity Superstar
Dump your excuses, transform your habits, and become the most productive person you know.