One of my defining characteristics is my unwavering positive mindset, which comes in handy when my career is about motivating people.
Seeing the bright side of life comes naturally to me, but I have to admit that the last year put a strain on my chipper attitude.
Who can stay optimistic when it feels like the world is falling apart?
Keeping a positive attitude (no matter how unpleasant your current reality is) can be difficult. But with a little practice, you can make tiny edits to shift those “Debbie Downer” thoughts into a happier frame of mind.
Here are some simple ways to maintain a positive mindset. You got this!
Surround Yourself With Positive People
You are the average of the people you spend the most time with, and you’ll notice that you’ll pick up the habits and ways of thinking of the people around you.
Have you ever spent all day with a friend only to start talking and acting like her? We’re sponges when it comes to the emotions and actions of the people around us.
So if you spend most of your time with negative people, then you’ll start to have negative thoughts. But spending your time with happy people who have a positive outlook on life will attract more good things to you.
What you read, watch, and consume has an impact on your outlook too, so consider reading mood-boosting articles on places such as powerofpositivity.com or social media accounts that focus on keeping a positive mindset.
Look for Solutions
We’ll all face challenges in our lives, and the ones who are able to stay optimistic are the ones who look for solutions instead of wallowing in frustration.
Take a proactive approach to your life and think about other people who have overcome the same obstacles that you’re facing.
Keep trying different tactics until you’re able to find a workable solution. That doesn’t mean everything will be perfect again, but it will be a whole lot better than if you did nothing at all.
Staying positive in the midst of a challenge will help keep the people around you calm and proactive too (moms know exactly what I’m talking about!).
Start Your Day With Positivity
How you begin your day has a massive effect on how the rest of your day will go. If you wake up in a bad mood, it will be that much harder to maintain a positive mindset when you’re primed to look for faults.
I recommend doing a gratitude prayer first thing in the morning before you even get out of bed. List 10 things you’re grateful for (rather than scrolling through your phone) so you can connect with what you love before the busy-ness of the day derails you.
Try an uplifting morning routine with stretching, meditation, listening to positive podcasts or music, reading, or anything that puts you in a great mood and will inspire you to reach your goals of the day.
Your morning routine doesn’t have to be long or complicated, and even 15 minutes of positive action is enough to set a positive intention for the entire day.
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder