Gratitude never seems like the “fun” part of life editing.
Remembering to be thankful for all the tiny things that are going well in your life (sunshine! food to eat! didn’t punch out my boss!) can seem kind of boring. . . and maybe a little annoying.
Some of my clients can’t help but roll their eyes when I suggest that their great big problems would look more manageable if they’d take 5 minutes to recognize that the whole world is not exploding in their faces.
The problem with gratitude is that our struggles scream louder. It might be your kids actually screaming at you, or maybe a daunting financial issue or a health crisis that needs tons of energy and focus.
Step 1 of the Life Editing Process is to shift yourself away from the negativity (and I know there’s a lot of it) and honor what’s working right now. Because honestly, there are millions of people who have it much worse than you.
When we feel grateful, those positive vibes grow and expand out into our world. Our goals feel closer and we feel more capable.
Today I’m sharing treats to help you notice your blessings and stay thankful.
Here are my picks to add to your gratitude grab bag.
1. The Gratitude Diaries. One of my favorite memoirs to read when I need a thankfulness refresher.
2. Floral Thank You Notes. I’m totally obsessed with these lovely notecards! Who in your life deserves to know how much they mean to you?
3. The Thank You Economy. Do you really care about your customers? This insightful business book challenges you to prove it.
4. Grateful Heart Mug. I’m always thankful for my morning cup of tea.
5. Be Thankful Tote Bag. Reduce your dependence on plastic bags with this adorable and inspiring tote. ‘Cause you can never have too many, right?
7. Gratitude: A Journal. I have this same journal, and I love the daily prompts and thick paper. Looks great on my bookshelf too.
8. Wishing Globe. Write your daily gratitudes, wishes, and desires onto paper strips and drop them in the ball. An inventive take on the classic gratitude journal.
9. Flying Wish Paper. Write your wish on the paper, light it on fire, and watch it rise into the sky. We did this at one of my retreats and it was a magical, motivating experience.
This post focuses on Step 1 of the Life Editing Process, Create a Foundation. For more about life editing and what it can do for you, click here.