3 Needs to Consider Before Recruiting Employees
If you’re like many small business owners, then you may have found it difficult when recruiting the right employees.
You want the right people on board to get your company where it needs to be, but hiring is hard work and takes time. If you haven’t found the perfect candidates for open positions at your business, here are some things you should consider before continuing with the recruitment process.
Here are 3 things to consider before recruiting employees.
Your Financial Capacity
Recruiting employees is a costly exercise for any company, so be sure your financial capacity can support the additional costs. The threshold will vary depending on the size of your business and its geographic location, as well as how much capital you have raised or saved in advance. If you’re hiring skilled workers with specialized talents, then the investment might be higher.
In addition to the cash outlay for salaries and benefits, there are other expenses companies need to anticipate when recruiting employees such as advertising, interviews (including travel), relocation costs, training, and orientation programs.
Many firms also offer a recruitment bonus or hiring incentive to attract top talent at key positions quickly; this can add up to tens of thousands of dollars.
Some companies find hiring a digital recruitment agency the best option, which is also not without cost. So, whatever your hiring strategy, ensure you have a budget for a smooth process.
The Law of the Land
As an employer, you must be knowledgeable about the law when it comes to recruiting employees.
Federal, state, and local laws all have different requirements for hiring new employees.
Some of the primary areas to consider are:
- Background checks (including criminal history).
- Drug testing (federal law doesn’t permit pre-employment drug tests).
- Interviews with other people who have worked with your candidate or know them.
- Understanding a candidate’s work history and credentials.
- Considering your company culture before you hire the person.
- Agreeing on a salary and the level of skills needed.
To attract and hire the right employees, employers must know what skills are required and which qualifications they can provide. The type of skill or qualification required will depend on the job role in question. For example, a content writer would need good writing skills.
While some companies may only hire employees with the qualifications they require for that specific job role, other employers might not have such rigid requirements and are open-minded about different levels of experience or degrees.
Less selective employers should draft an employment specification sheet to list the number of years experience required, the desired degree or qualifications, and other relevant information.
Availability of Training and Induction
Your business must have a clear plan for induction and training. Without this, you’ll struggle to recruit the right people. Induction also helps new employees settle into roles while being introduced to everyone else. Employers must customize the training to the function of each role.
To ensure that employees will be productive as soon as they start, it’s best for new hires to have a complete orientation and introduction. It’s also helpful to provide training before the person begins to know what their role entails when they start work. This helps ease anxiety, which can lead to high levels of stress.
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Book Outlet, save $10 off your first order
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder