Today I’m linking up with my friend Andrea at DreAm heART sMart ArT for her blog challenge. The prompt is “self-care.”
OK, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about something very important.
Pull out your to-do list. It’s probably under that pile of laundry or stuck in between the couch cushions.
Got it? Good. Now, circle all the activities on your list that involve self-care; things that make you feel good about yourself, little pleasures that give you a happiness boost, or behaviors that honor yourself from the inside out.
Hmmm…I bet there’s not much that qualifies as self-care on your list.
Maybe there’s nothing at all.
Why do we push ourselves to the bottom of our lists? Sure, our spouses, kids, pets, coworkers, and random strangers all deserve to be treated well.
But you’ll be of better service to your loved ones and others if you put yourself first. It’s true—how are you supposed to share your gifts with the world if you’re burned out?
It’s not difficult to make self-care a daily habit. It just takes consistency!
For me, the simple step of writing my daily self-care tasks on my to-do list is enough for me to remember to honor myself.
Self-care can include typical “care” activities like taking a long shower or getting a massage. It can also include things that are caring in a different way like meditating, enjoying a hobby, or reading for pleasure.
My Favorite Self-Care Activities
- Blasting 80s dance music, singing really loud, and dancing around like a maniac. It’s a fabulous stress reliever.
- Cooking something new with lots of fresh ingredients and actually following the recipe.
- When I have the house to myself, I put on my comfiest pajamas, then face cream, eye cream, foot cream, teeth whitening strips, and paint my nails all while watching Pride and Prejudice for the hundredth time. Oh yeah.
- Marathon scrapbooking sessions. Who says stickers are just for kids?
- Reading the Twilight books again. No shame.
Here’s your assignment for the week! Choose at least 1 self-care activity to enjoy every day without fail.
You deserve it!
In the comments below, let me know your favorite way to indulge in self-care.