Happy Valentine’s Day, Life Editor!
This is one of my favorite holidays because I’m all about sharing the love. I even work self-love into my Life Editing Process.
Step 2: Delete Bad Influences is always the most popular because that’s where you see the big results. Step 4: Rearrange Everything is my personal fave because I love time management.
But it’s Step 5: Make White Space for Personal Self-Care that holds the most weight. You must take care of yourself first if you want to be of service to anyone else.
Today we’re talking about how you can protect yourself when dealing with emotional labor. That’s when the people in your life dump their emotions on you so that they can feel better…but you don’t want that negativity hurting you either!
Watch this video to learn how to handle emotional labor without overwhelm.
Handling Emotional Labor
- Create a 5-minute buffer. Give your loved one just 5 minutes to vent, rant, or complain, but then move on to something pleasant when the timer goes off.
- Ask them, “Do you want to vent or do you want solutions?” Get clear about the purpose of the conversation so you can give them what they need and train them not to use you like a garbage can.
- Refer them to a coach. Send them to someone who’s trained in handling emotional labor and isn’t familiar with their history. You can get more info about working with me HERE.
Be sure to visit me on Facebook and share how you handle emotional labor.
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder