One of my all-time favorite books is Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and I listen to the audiobook at least once a year.
In the book, Liz is desperate for her soon-to-be-ex-husband to sign the divorce papers, but he’s been stalling for months. Finally, she goes on a road trip with a friend to take her mind off her marital struggles.
While on this road trip, she writes a petition asking the universe to intervene and end her marriage peacefully for the benefit of everyone involved. Then she signs her name plus the names of anyone she can think of who would support the divorce.
She has a fantastic time listing her friends, family, pets, literary characters, historical figures like Gandhi, celebrities like Michael J. Fox, and on and on. Her list grows to hundreds of names.
Eventually, she falls asleep while her friend continues to drive. She’s awoken by the sound of her cell phone ringing. It’s her lawyer. Her ex just signed the papers. She’s free!
Liz’s petition to the universe is probably my favorite part of her memoir because it speaks to me on such a raw level. Sometimes you need to stop pushing and just let the universe take over for you.
Not only that, but when you really think about it, there are hundreds (maybe thousands!) of people…alive, dead, or imaginary…who want you to succeed. We are surrounded by love!
Are you going through a rough time in your life? Maybe it’s time to petition the universe!
This is also one of the fun exercises we did during the previous Life Editor Academy Retreat.
I’ve got a worksheet that will help you ask the universe for what you want and recognize all the people who support your dreams.
How to Use This Worksheet
- Write a letter to the universe asking it to intervene to give you exactly what you want in your life. Maybe you want a new job. Maybe you want financial freedom. Maybe you want to recover from an illness. You can request anything at all! Nothing is too large for the universe to handle.
- Sign your name to the letter.
- List everyone you can think of who would support this plan. Consider your friends and family, historical figures, celebrities, literary characters, your pets, and more. Be creative!
- Hang the petition some place where you’ll see it often and relax in the knowledge that the universe is reviewing your petition and will help you.
What would you ask the universe to do for you?
This post focuses on Step 1 of the Life Editing Process, Create a Foundation. For more about life editing and what it can do for you, click here.
The Editor’s Toolkit
- Free Workshop: 3 Simple Steps to Become a Productivity Superstar
- 25+ Printable Worksheets
- 6 Life Editing Ebooks
- My Favorite Books and Resources