There’s nothing more depressing than waking up, stumbling into the kitchen, and seeing a mountain of dirty dishes from last night’s dinner.
OK, maybe waking up next to some stranger is more depressing, but a messy house is right up there.
When you get up in the morning, you should be greeted by a pleasant environment that makes you think anything is possible. Dirty socks, unwashed dishes, unsorted mail, coats and shoes dumped on the floor, and other messes just don’t inspire that get-up-and-go attitude.
One way I’ve tried to make my mornings a little sweeter is by doing a 10-minute cleanup before I go to sleep.
Ten minutes might not seem like a lot of time (especially if your house is a magnet for clutter and general disarray), but by getting in the habit of cleaning nightly, your house will never get too dirty.
Set a timer for 10 minutes and get to it! Aim to do the chores that give you the biggest bang for your buck such as folding laundry or running the dishwasher.
Also, grab anything that doesn’t belong where it is (like your kids’ toys) and drop it in the correct room or location. You don’t have to put it away, but getting it in the vicinity of where it belongs is better than nothing.
When the timer goes off, STOP!
It might be tempting to continue cleaning, but you don’t want to keep yourself up too late when you need to get your 8 hours of sleep. Remember, you’ll have 10 minutes tomorrow night to do another quick cleanup.
Now you can wake up to an organized, inviting home in the morning. Whether or not the creepy guy from the bar is there too is up to you.
What are your best tips for keeping a clean house?
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Book Outlet, save $10 off your first order
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder