If you’re anything like me, you must have an enormous to-do list.
We have so much to get done—not just for our jobs but also for our homes, relationships, and ourselves.
It may seem counterintuitive, but I want to show you how focusing on getting less done can actually make you more productive. Less is more, you know.
All you need to do is choose 3 daily priorities.
Look at your to-do list in the morning and determine which items are your highest priorities. They should be things that must get done or else something bad will happen later. They should also be urgent and important.
Some examples of high-priority tasks include paying your bills, picking up your husband from the airport, sending a report to your client, or setting up a doctor’s appointment to get a scary mole checked out.
Now, out of all your high-priority tasks, choose 3 that are the most critical to complete today. Be ruthless!
By focusing on just 3 tasks, you can target in to what’s really most important without getting distracted by less important tasks (like checking Facebook, vacuuming the house, or watching TV).
You’ll also get to experience the energy of completion; that amazing feeling of finishing a project and crossing it off your list. If you concentrate on all of your tasks at once, you’ll never feel that completion energy.
By getting a few (super important) things done, you’ll be motivated to continue on to the next items without getting overwhelmed.
After you finish your top 3 tasks for the day, you may decide to review your master to-do list again and pick 3 new priorities.
But be careful about starting another task the same day. If you burn yourself out, you’ll have no energy to focus on tomorrow’s priorities!
“It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials.” Bruce Lee
How do you focus on what’s most important?
Have you ever purposefully decided to do less?
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Book Outlet, save $10 off your first order
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder