St. Patrick’s Day is coming up, and I had a craving for some warm Irish soda bread.
I’m not Irish, but in addition to making up my own holidays, I also steal holidays from others. Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!
In my defense, Chris is Irish and I think my dog, Skyla, might be Irish too because she likes to eat potatoes.
Anyhoo, here’s the easy peasy recipe. It was incredibly good, especially slathered with vegan butter. Hey, I didn’t say it was healthy.
Vegan Irish Soda Bread
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I used soy milk)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 2 T sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add the vinegar to the nondairy milk and set aside to curdle.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (including the raisins) together in a large bowl.
- When the oven is ready, add the wet to the dry and mix until it just comes together into a dough.
- Spread the dough into a loaf pan. You could also form the dough into a ball and put it on a cookie sheet if you don’t care about having uniform pieces.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean, and it should sound hollow when you tap it.
- Set it on a rack to cool.
Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?