Sometimes, it’s easy to forget how good our lives are.
I had a wonderful birthday last month. Chris took me out for breakfast at an awesome vegan restaurant, and then we wandered around the Walt Disney Family Museum.
On the drive home, I was feeling very happy and content. It was the perfect, sunny day.
Abruptly, all the cars on the highway hit their brakes, we were forced to inch along very, very slowly.
This went on for a long…long…time.
I was still feeling my birthday high, so I didn’t consider what could have caused the traffic jam.
“There’s probably an accident,” Chris said.
Somehow, I knew he was right. And somehow, I knew it was bad.
“Then let’s be thankful for our health and safety,” I said.
I often give thanks silently or aloud for the blessings in my life, big or small. Practicing gratitude gives me a sense of peace because I know how quickly things can change.
I have often heard people say, “This too shall pass” when they are going through a rough time in their lives. It’s meant to remind them that bad experiences won’t last forever.
But what about the good things in life? As we all know, they are fleeting as well.
When I experience something joyful, I think, “This too shall pass.” It’s not to be a downer, but rather to remind myself to soak up every bit of happiness while it’s here.
Being thankful makes the nice times that much sweeter.
Finally, our car reached the accident. Police officers were directing the vehicles into the far lane.
There was a mangled motorcycle in the middle of the road. A trail of glass and metal bits led further down the pavement where a fireman stood over a yellow body bag.
I held my breath. My stomach hurt.
“This too shall pass,” I thought as we continued towards home.
- The Edit My Life Planner will help you get more done in the next 12 weeks than you did in the past 12 months.
- Sign up for FREE productivity worksheets and more in the Editor’s Toolkit
- Schedule a FREE Life Editing Strategy Call
- Follow me on YouTube, Facebook, and Pinterest
- Book Outlet, save $10 off your first order
- Picmonkey, save 17% when you sign up for my favorite online photo editor
- Kajabi, start your free trial of this all-in-one platform for entrepreneurs
- Book Like a Boss, start your free trial for this beautiful and user-friendly scheduling app for coaches and consultants
- Epidemic Sound, start your free trial for the best music for YouTube videos
- Passion Planner, save $5 off your first purchase
- Trello, free elegant project management app
- Beaver Builder, my favorite WordPress page builder