I’ve been reading a ton of articles about how people should follow their favorite blogs now that Google Reader will be retired this summer.
I follow more than 100 blogs with Google Reader, so I’m eager to find an alternative that works for me. Even though I used Google Reader a lot, it’s not my favorite way to keep up with blogs.
I actually prefer weekly ezines or newsletters that include recaps of that week’s blog posts and videos, plus special offers, discounts, or exclusive content just for subscribers.
This is probably no surprise to you since I add an opt-in box for my ezine, The Sweet List, at the bottom of all of my posts. If you’re reading this post in a feed reader, click here to view it on my website to see what I mean.
Weekly ezines are brilliant, and they save me so much time. I get a short weekly recap from my favorite bloggers, and I can click on just the links that interest me.
These newsletters are different than signing up to get an email every time a blogger publishes a post. I prefer 1 email a week as opposed to 3-7 emails crowding my inbox.
With Google Reader, a blog’s name appears bold when there’s a new post, and I feel obligated to click each bolded blog in my list to see the new post for that day. This daily checking was eating up a bunch of my time.
Sadly, the majority of the blogs I follow don’t offer a weekly recap ezine. And I can’t figure out why! They take minutes to set up, and they help you engage with your audience on a more personal level.
Subscribers to The Sweet List are constantly replying to my ezine and having deeper conversations with me that simply aren’t possible in the comment section at the end of a blog post.
And I love being able to give my subscribers freebies that I don’t offer on my blog. Recently, Sweet Listers received an exclusive free excerpt from my new book, How to Stay Sweet in a Sour World.
They also got to sign up for my new year’s coaching program a week before I opened registration on my blog. I have a new daily coaching program starting this spring, but I only have a handful of available spots—when they’re gone, they’re gone.
So if you’ve wondered what it would be like to have your own personal accountability buddy, you’ll definitely want to sign up before Monday night (hint, hint).
Enter your name and email below to sign up for The Sweet List.
How do you follow your favorite blogs?
Do you have a weekly ezine? Why or why not?
If you’re on The Sweet List, what do you like about a once weekly email from me?
While I research more feed readers (or beg bloggers to send ezines), here are some tidbits for you to peruse at your leisure.
Extra-long list this week since I missed last week’s link roundup. Enjoy!
What I’m Reading and Watching
- How to create a “life list.” Everyone should have one. Do you?
- Imperfectionism — why the cult of Jennifer Lawrence matters. Because we’re all flawed in beautiful ways.
- What’s Keeping You From Going Further? Awesome post asking you to think about what you pack on your life’s journey.
- When Different Parts of You Want Different Things. When you need to be reminded that you’re not crazy.
- Bread and Wine and a World of My Own. A must-read for people with food allergies or other dietary restrictions. People bond with others by sharing meals, but what if you can’t join in?
- The Former Couch Potato’s Guide to Embracing Exercise. It is possible to stick to a workout routine. Really.
- 3 Words That You Need to Tell Yourself Daily. Tough love advice that’s similar to this post of mine.
- On Keeping a Notebook in the Digital Age. If you want my notebook, you’ll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.
- 8 Steps to Breaking Your Procrastination Habit. Not that you need it, right?
- Dear Mom on the iPhone, I Get it. Another reminder to stop being so judgy.
- Owning our mistakes but not letting them own us. Because one of the bravest things you can do is admit when you were wrong.
- Bring It On Down to Veganville with Justin Timberlake (Video). Who’d have thought that dressing like a block of tofu would make JT even sexier? You know you want to watch this.
New Blog Posts
- Do One Thing That Makes You Happy Every Day
- The Sucky Job Survival Guide
- Keep It Simple, Sister!
- Are You an Early Bird or a Night Owl?
- At First Sight: Choose an Inspiring Morning Image
- My Magazine Obsession
- Say What? 3 Ways to Stop a Critic in Her Tracks
- You’re Getting Warmer: Are Your Choices Bringing You Closer to Your Goals?
- No Pain, No Gain: Why Being Uncomfortable is a Good Thing
- Glass Half Full or Half Empty: It’s Your Choice (Video)
Do You Have a Sweet Success Story?
Has your life changed for the better because of a blog post, video, ebook, ecourse, video training, or coaching program from Sage Grayson Coaching? I want to hear about it! Send an email to email@example.com with your Sweet Success Story, and I might feature you in an upcoming issue of The Sweet List.